Say I Won't

 I heard a song yesterday morning on the radio not long after I woke up.

It's by MercyMe, called Say I Won't. I didn't know it at that exact moment yesterday morning, but later in the day I would realise the lyrics were what I need to constantly remind myself.

"Today it all begins. 

I'm seeing my life for the very first time through a different lense. 

Yesterday I didn't understand, didn't know what I had.

While I've been waiting to live, my life has been waiting on me."

Through my life I have found PROOF that life is fragile. Unexpected IS the expected. Things can change in the literal blink of an eye. Life changes, every day... but the number one reminder for ME, is to keep REALLY LIVING. 

I don't mean just waking up and going about your day. I mean truly embracing every MILISECOND you have on this Earth. It's a blessing to be here, and it's time for US ALL to realise that.

So I kept listening to the song and the chorus began.

"I'm gonna run... no, I'm going to FLY.

I'm gonna know what it means yo LIVE... and NOT just be ALIVE.

The world IS going to hear, because I AM GOING to shout. 

And I WILL be dancing when circumstances drown the music out.

Say I Won't."

In life there are SO many expectations. People expect you to adjust to THEIR expectations of you, and let me tell you... that is NOT how you should be living.

I have been told "no" many times. And I don't mean the "my mom told me not to do something wrong" kind of no. I mean the "that's impossible, or crazy, or stupid" kind of no.

I've been told, "just don't send more than 2 care packages a month. Start off very small."

I have been told, "you'll never meet your favorite football player."

I have been told, "you won't be able to see the Jonas Brothers" (LOL)

I have been told, "that idea is kind of crazy."

I have been told, "that dream is too big, Sam."

I have been told, "I don't know, Sam. It might not actually happen."

And guess what? Every dream, every thing someone said couldn't happen... HAS happened. And maybe it's God hearing my prayers. Or maybe it's Him seeing my determination, but sooner or later He always provides. He always pulls through.

For every time I have heard "no," I have heard:

"I cannot believe you ended up sending 11 packages in one week."

"You met Matthew Slater? Can I see pics?"

"Someone HANDED you floor seats at the Jonas brothers concert? Really?"

"I'm so happy your event idea came together in less than a month in advance!"

"Dreams really DO come true."

"Can you believe it actually DID happen?"

When someone says I "can't" or I "won't," it only drives me faster. It only pushes me more. It only HELPS me.

When someone criticizes me, it only inspires me.

Sure, I might get bummed every so often. I have my insecurities. I have my doubts. I'm human.

But I TRY to live. I TRY to dance when the music drowns out. I TRY.

And trying is the ONLY thing you can do sometimes.

But say I won't.

Say I won't try, and I will.

Say I won't succeed, and I will.


You CAN do that thing you have always wanted to do.

Your dreams CAN come true.

Do NOT let anyone bring you down. Don't let any circumstance or anyone stop you from TRULY living. 

Don't let ANYONE tell you, "you won't."





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just the Beginning